The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Cheap Travels

The YouTube account, High on Life, films a group of four guys encouraging their audience to explore the world. Apart from their trips, they also give tips on how to travel well and make it available to everyone.

Olivia Jenkins, Staff Member

Cheap Travels

A guide to travel around the world on a low budget.

We live in a world where money almost always has the final say in decisions making; from what we eat to where we  go, with the latter continuously resulting in dreams of traveling instead of actually venturing to places you’ve never been before.  But you don’t have to be rich to travel, you just have to change your view of exploring the world. To really get the most out of traveling, you have to go outside of your comfort zone and embrace the differences that define a culture. Not knocking expensive, glamorous trips, but with traveling cheap comes more experience, cultural immersion, and valuable lessons.

Before starting your journey think about cutting out unnecessary expenses and start looking into travel credit cards, which offer the opportunity to earn free points and miles to be redeemed for airfares, hotels or straight up cash. The easiest way to choose the best travel credit card is by joining the one with the best sign up bonuses, or the one that offers ways to earn extra points, leading to a sooner travel date.  

Next is choosing the location. For beginner frugal travelers, choosing a location where the cost of living is lower than where you live is where to get the most for your money. For America, places like Bali, Thailand, Greece, Cambodia, Argentina, India, South Korea, and Hungary are easily the best destinations for extremely low budget traveling and with free airline miles mentioned earlier, getting there can be done frugally!

Something else to consider when you arrive to your destination is accommodations and transportation. These are arguably the easiest to manage. Professional world travelers almost always refer to the website Couchsurfing.com as their go to and free service to find hosts to stay with all over the world. The sign up and bookings have zero cost and offer the prime way to immerse yourself in a culture whilst staying with locals in every country on earth. Hostels, found on websites such as Hostelworld.com are another option for those changing locations more frequently, offering a low-budget accommodation shared among travelers. This includes booking a bed for the night, not a room, and basically living in a communal atmosphere including bathrooms. Although this is cheap, it could be considered less culturally immerging, as you hang out with other travelers more so than locals.

For those with some time on their hands, hitchhiking, though a little risky, is a low cost way to commute; but for a more reliable source, ubers and other car services like it work as well. Walking and biking around is also a cheaper option and always available in cities; and the less spent on this saves more for your grocery shop because cooking your own food will almost always be less expensive than restaurants. Many hostels offer small kitchens and couchsurfing.com provides entire homes with hosts willing to cook for and/or with you. Organizations like WWOOF (WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms) allows volunteers to help organic farmers in return for accommodation, food, and cultural experiences as well, easing up on the traveler’s budget.

Lastly, longer trips might require a consistent and reliable source of income, which can often be found in taking up jobs overseas where there are plenty of opportunities as long as you aren’t picky. Just remember this is not a career you’re starting, just a temporary employment in order to cover part or all of your expenses. Jobs like nannying/being an au pair, bartender, hostel worker etc. are just a few ideas that don’t require advanced degrees or a lot of work experience; just make sure the country allows foreign workers before you apply.

Above all, keep in mind that lowering the cost of your trip will not lower the experience. If anything, it will raise the bar, knowledge, and opportunities to grow and develop as a person. Just have a little bit of courage to put yourself out there and break out of the conventional and closed off habits we far too often fall into.