The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Fashion Flackback

Lily Starnes, Staff Member

Fashion Flashback

The fashion industry is constantly evolving and creating trends inspired by previous decades.  

Throughout history, fashion changes happen in response to how society and culture adjust and evolve. Clothing, textiles, colors and patterns have rotated in and out of popularity. Over time, the new replaces the old, and people are influenced greatly by popular culture, including athletes, musicians, and movie stars. The fashion industry’s advertising is as well one of the greatest contributors to set trends and is a source of inspiration to many people.

You know the saying history repeats itself, well in the fashion industry it’s 100% true. This year the 70’s and the 90’s have a heavy influence on what is trending. From button front skirts to high waisted shorts, celebrities and girls all over are seen wearing them. Denim made a huge comeback in 2015. Peasant blouses and flare jeans were an unbeatable combo back then and have found their way back onto the runway. The combo is really versatile and can be dressed up or dressed down. The shift dress is also a great piece from the 70’s because it is flattering on all body types. Senior Gianna Papa’s favorite is the long t-shirt dress because she thinks they are so comfortable and cute. Just like the jean and blouse combo, the shift dress can be easily fancied up with a statement necklace and you are ready to go. Skirts sets have been a popular throwback from the 70’s that have made picking out an outfit so simple since it’s a matching top and bottom. Junior Lizzy Welsko mentions that her favorite 70s piece is the chunky high heel shoe because they’re easier to walk in and they’re fun to try with different outfits. On a different note the 90’s were all about being comfy and stylish at the same time. Winona Ryder was a huge style icon at the time and she was known for her tomboyish style. She made wearing jeans and a simple t-shirt look chic. Another trend borrowed from the 90’s that may come as a shock since us girls wear them everyday, are plaid skirts. They are back in style. When the skirt is paired with the right accessories it definitely becomes as statement piece. One of my personal favorite trends from the 90’s are white sneakers. These simple and comfy shoes can almost go with everything and they never go out of style.

Fashion is seen as a display of individuality; a person’s fashion gives the world around them an idea of who they are. You can be creative and show your personality mixing and matching pieces in you wardrobe. Fashion is also empowering in a way that allows us to evolve. Ralph Lauren says, “fashion is something that comes within you” so make it personal and have fun with it.