The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Cutting Corners

Math and Science are the courses in which cheating most often occurs. Writing mathematical formulas in the palm of their hands is one of the most popular methods use by students to be dishonest

Lily Starnes, Staff Member

Cutting Corners 

Why cheating has become so common in school

Why has cheating suddenly become so common? There could be many answers to this question but one of them is related to stress and the pressure students feel to juggle grades, sports, and sometimes even a job. The point of high school is to prepare students for college, and at the same time students have to figure out where they want to attend school and what to major in which brings a lot of pressure. Cheating may seem like the easiest way out, but in reality they are cheating themselves more than anything.

Many people think, “Well I am not going to use this ever, so why learn it”? Some of the things taught in school probably will never serve a purpose in life after high school, but learning how to do things the right way helps build your character. Learning how to have a strong work ethic is one of the most important things you will ever learn in school. If you know how to work hard then you will be able to do anything. School is a stepping-stone to help you become person with integrity and values to live a fulfilling life. Sometimes people get derailed being dishonest not only with themselves but with others.  When cheating becomes your option to get ahead, you’re taking a big risk of that behavior working against you with more serious consequences. Getting kicked out of school, for example, will set you back even more.

In the past, it was the struggling student who was more likely to cheat just to get by. Today it is also the above-average college bound students who are tricking the system. Grades, rather than education, have become the major focus for many of them. This behavior has increased due to the pressure for higher grades and improved class rankings, not to mention getting into prestigious colleges around the nation. Mr. Hoyer said “I think that atmosphere plays a big part in motivating them to cheat, but integrity is doing what is right even when it’s hard”. If a student fails and decides to cheat, then taking responsibility for it and being honest in the future would help them build integrity. In an article featured in The New York Times, Richard Perez-Pena said that cheating has become easier and more tolerated. Pena says that it is probable that cheating occurs at other schools where the standards are less rigorous. Both schools and parents have failed to give students strong, repetitive messages about what is allowed and what is prohibited.

School today has gotten increasingly more competitive. The world has gotten more complicated and people don’t have enough time to do things right, so they feel the need to cheat. The fear of missing out has made students overload their lives with advanced classes, clubs, sports and social activities. There is not enough time to do all of those things well, so people feel that they have to cut corners in order to succeed. But, is it really your success? How can you have confidence in yourself in the future if you pretended you know something you don’t? So next time you think about being dishonest, think about how important it is to compromise your integrity and your future.