The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Super Bowl Sadie’s

Kate Massengill, Student Editor in Cheif

Super Bowl Sadie’s

Spirits were high as Pinecrest students celebrated catholic schools week and all the festivities that came along with the Sadie Hawkins Dance.

With the 50th annual Super Bowl, what better way to honor this age old tradition that packing the gym in supporting your favorite team’s colors for a Super Bowl Sadie’s.

Similar to the homecoming week festivities, students were given a dress down day Friday before the dance where they could support their favorite teams or Pinecrest itself. Some dressed in Broncos and Panthers gear awaiting the big game on Sunday, while others sported baseball jerseys and those from their favorite college teams.

A winter sports pep- rally was also held to pump people up not only for the dance but also for the many important games that were to come. The pep rally was full of games that winter sports athletes could participate in, followed by the 2nd annual lip synching contest. After coach Cane’s amazing performance and win last year, he decided not to participate allowing other teachers a shot at the glory. New teachers took the stage like Mr. Egner performing “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber, Mrs. Eich and her gang of girls (Mrs. Whitmire, Mrs. Stone, Mrs Herbert and Mrs. Durso) showed their moves to Eminem’s hit song “Lose Yourself” and Mr. Podmolik, Mr. Hoyer and Mr. Egner shone performing “Locked Away”. Although all the groups put up a good fight, Mrs. Eich was named the winner! Next a group of senior boys and a group of senior girls went head to head performing their own routines for the school. The boy’s group, aka Schmoney Gang, was the defending Powder Puff winners who showed their routine from this year after the game was rained out. The girls prepared a routine with the music found in the new Pitch Perfect 2 movie, to continue the tradition of last year’s seniors who performed a song from the first movie.

Later that night students packed the gym once again for the last home basketball game of the season. This was senior night that honored the seniors from all winter sports. Simultaneously the seniors who were not playing helped run the senior mission trip fundraiser Bingo Night. Students called out numbers, handed out prizes and sold snacks making an outstanding profit that will benefit the children in Nicaragua later this year. Senior night was bittersweet as the Varsity Girls pulled out a win against rivals Walker Academy, however the boys did not have the same luck in the end.

After students rested up from Friday nights activities, it was time to get back up for the annual Sadie Hawkins dance. The decorations went beyond just football, with a mini putt putt course all around the gym, corn hole games outside and a new basketball game that will now find its home in the student lounge. The snack table replicated that of a professional tailgate. It was complete with chick-fil-a nuggets, sodas and waters, cookie cake, candy and even a queso fountain. The DJ played some of our favorite hits past and present as everybody danced the night away.