The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

“There’s No Place like Homecoming”

Kate Massengill, Student Editor in Chief

Homecoming 2015

“There’s No Place like Homecoming”

What is fall without football games, fuzzy sweaters, warm drinks and most importantly Homecoming. As each new school year begins, it does not take long for students to begin thinking about all the annual homecoming week festivities like dressing up for each theme, the bonfire, pep rally, football games and of course the long awaited dance. Student Government did their best to pump up the spirit and motivate boys to take time to ask girls in a thoughtful way by starting the first ‘Homecoming Ask Contest’. Students could submit pictures of them asking or getting asked to homecoming, tag @pastudentgov on Instagram, and wait for likes to pour in. Whichever couple got the most likes would get free tickets to the dance! Jake Mangan sent Gianna Papa on a short scavenger hunt to a places like the soccer field and Starbucks where friends were waiting with more clues on the next location. This creative ask secured him the title of the “First Homecoming Ask Contest Winner”.

The Homecoming week festivities started out, as they always do, on Sunday with the annual hallway- decorating contest. Freshman took the third floor, transforming the hallway into a full on Fall Scene that looked like it was out of a magazine. Go down a floor and you were seeing red, white and blue as the sophomores showed their true American spirit in a patriotic design. On the first floor you may think you had been transported to some of the biggest cities in the world like Paris, London, New York and Hollywood, but alas you were just witnessing the extreme creativity of the Junior class. They even incorporated some of the most famous landmarks from each city, like the Eiffel Tower and Hollywood sign. Finally, seniors took the lobby and student lounge and turned them into a life size Candy Land board game. Right as you walked in the door, the game began, colored tiles led you from the door into the lounge where you were greeted with actual candy along with gumdrops and gingerbread houses on the walls.

Monday morning students came in their best throwback attire for munchkin Monday, ready to begin one of the most exciting weeks of the year. We saw it all, from footie pajamas to even the old elementary school uniform! Some people took the theme to the extreme, throwing it way back to even Cavemen and the Ancient Roman Empire!

Tuesday each grade represented a different genre for Music Day. Freshman honored the oldies impersonating classic styles like that of Frank Sinatra, 20’s flapper girls, and 70’s poodle skirt girls. Sophomores took country music and put on their favorite pair of ‘Jorts’ and plaid button downs. Juniors chilled out in true Reggae style honoring classic artists like Bob Marley. Grillz, sagged pants, snapbacks and bandanas characterized the seniors’ thug style, going all out for Rap/ Hip-hop day.

Wednesday was the annual character day where students were able to impersonate their favorite celebrities, movie and TV characters. A group of Junior girls dressed up as the characters from orange is the new black even capturing some of the character’s signature quirks like nose rings and cornrows. A group of seniors dressed as characters from the new Disney movie ‘Inside Out’ complete with all your favorites from the movie like Anger, Joy and Sadness.

Thursday ‘Color Wars’ divided the High School with freshman head to toe in red, sophomores in orange, juniors in purple and seniors in blue. This theme had the least enthusiastic response of the week but it was cool walk past classrooms and see the room filled with one color. Thursday night students attended the annual bonfire that proved to be a huge success. Bags of s’mores were pre-ready thanks to Miss Mcgraw and Brooks Binkley generously grilled burgers and hot dogs. The fire roared on all night as students hung out and tailgated in truck beds, bonding with friends and making memories that will last a lifetime.

As Game Day approached, Paladins geared up for the homecoming game showing their paladin spirit by wearing green and gold to school that day. A surprise met all students in the entire school during homeroom, when we were given a black shirt that said ‘We Are Pinecrest’ on it to match the Blackout theme of the football game that night. The first ever all school homecoming pep rally was held in the afternoon where we saw Pre-K students to Seniors all wearing the same shirt, cheering for Paladin teams and competing in games. The student government promoted the theme for the dance by dressing as the characters from the Wizard of Oz. The cheerleaders gave a performance and danced along with the band as they revealed the new fight song. All Pinecrest sports from elementary to high school were recognized. Finally, Coach Kane introduced black as one of Pinecrest’s new official colors.

This year’s homecoming game was one for the books. Paladin fans filled the stadium to cheer on our boys against Fellowship Christian. The whole crowd dressed in the shirts they had gotten that day at school for a complete blackout. Cheerleaders wore custom black bows donated by the Paladin Spirit Shop and even the players themselves even participated in this ultimate blackout sporting completely new uniforms that had the crowd going crazy. The players put their whole heart into the game and the scoreboard reflected their hard work. By halftime, we were up 34-7. The Paladins fought hard in the second half and ended the game with a 34-21 win. Fans rushed the field to celebrate yet another homecoming victory for the Pinecrest Paladins. But what is a homecoming game without the crowning of the Homecoming queen?

The 2015 Homecoming court was introduced in true Pinecrest style, but this year there was a new twist different from any other in Pinecrest history. Two princesses were honored for each grade instead of the usual one. The Senior candidates Ana Paula Sanchez, Maddie Braybrook, Sara Rice, and Catherine Ann Birozes held tight on to their father’s arms with excitement and anticipation as they waited to hear the outcome. The crowd fell silent as Catherine Ann Birozes was crowned the 2015 Homecoming. Chanting, cheering and jumping around, fans went crazy as returning queen Mary Holdsworth placed the crown on Catherine Ann’s head. This amazing moment was one for the storybooks and definitely a dream come true for Catherine Ann.

After makeup was applied, hair was curled, and pictures were taken, students piled into the Lower School gym where tons of surprises awaited them. The party was bumpin, with some of the best hits being played and a smoke machine filling the room. Unfortunately there may have been a little too much smoke because halfway through the dance the fire alarm went off. Everyone had to flee from the gym and wait until firefighters were able to assess the situation. Once the gym was deemed safe, the excitement was over partygoers resumed with a surprise performance from Pinecrest’s very own J Tyga aka senior, Trevor Jeans. There was cheering, crowd surfing and dancing so intense, a boy passed out from all the excitement. Of course in the middle of the dance the moment we had all been waiting for had arrived. After a suspenseful drum roll Jake Mangan was named 2015 Homecoming King. He then shared a dance with Queen Catherine Ann Birozes to the song “Love me Like you do”, by Ellie Goulding. All in all, the response to the dance was overwhelmingly positive. Those in attendance raved about the yummy snacks, fun photo booth pictures and all the other surprises of the night. This year, as the theme promised, there really was “No Place like Homecoming”.