The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Extra! Extra!

Lily Starnes, Staff Member

Extra! Extra!

Pinecrest Academy’s very own movie extra Olivia Jenkins, shares her story about playing a small part in the upcoming sequel of the famous movie Divergent

Extras are a bunch of random people you see in the background of a movie or television show. The job of an extra is to help create a background that looks real and not staged. They need to make the scenes look as natural as possible blending in with the rest of the actors and scenery. Being an extra in a movie is a great way to get a start in acting if you are interested in this industry and as a bonus, you get paid really well. At Pinecrest we have our very own Extra Olivia Jenkins. She has a genuine interest for this field and she was fortunate enough to be chosen as an extra for the third Divergent movie Allegiant part one. Olivia was more than happy to share her experience with The Excalibur.

The Excalibur: How did you become an extra?

Olivia: “My mom had a friend who told her that she got all of her casting calls from Project Casting.com, and I did the same. I would get emails when there were casting calls, but they were always 18 and older and there were many restrictions. I finally saw one for kids and it was up to 17 and there were limited spots. I decided to go for it”

TE: Was the process easy?

Olivia: “The process was relatively easy, but because I am a kid there are many restrictions. There were not too many roles for kids. If there were roles for kids they were very specific in the way they wanted them to look like. Luckily the movie I was in took kids. The days that I worked there were not many kids on set, so I felt pretty special getting to be there.”

TE: What were the filming days like?

Olivia: “My days were really early because most people were staying in a hotel near the location, but my mom and I drove two hours there and back every day. We had to leave especially early anyway like at 3:30 in the morning and sometimes later depending on the call time that they emailed me the night before. It was fun though I looked forward to waking up and the day ahead of me. For kids you had to sign in right on your call time. If my call was at seven and I got there thirty minutes early I had to wait until seven to sign in. Kids can only work ten hours a day so the producers needed to take advantage of every single minute they could have you. You would get your costume on first then hair and makeup.It became a routine.

Most of the days I would go to set right after. Kids also got to cut lines during breakfast so that was nice. Lunch was always six hours into the day and then after that we would work until we were done.”

TE: What was your favorite part of all of this?

Olivia: “I loved seeing how they actually create the movie; everything that goes into it and all the takes and the different angles. I also liked learning all of the lingo because it’s not just cut and action. Working with the director was so special because it was just me and a few others and we got to work with him on a scene one on one.”

TE: Did you meet any of the main-actors of the movie?

Olivia: “I didn’t meet them one on one where I introduced myself, but I did scenes with Theo James, Shailene Woodley, and Zoe Kravitz and a couple of the new leads that are going to be in Allegiant. During my scene with Theo James I got to run alongside of him and yes he looks even better in person. I was so star struck I didn’t know what to say when we were waiting to rerun the scenes. One day I physically backed into him while he was getting touch ups. I got to hear all of his dialogue. For Shailene Woodley I got to scream next to her and she was stunning up close.”

TE:Would you want to pursue this as a career?

Olivia: “Absolutely! That’s always been a far-fetched dream of mine. This opportunity has definitely made me start looking into more colleges around this field than before. I got to be on an amazing and incredibly detailed set, which made me realize I’m interested in that too. As of right now I am  just going to keep an eye out for more kid casting calls.”