The Excalibur

Rice vs. Trump Aids

Susan Rice speaks out on last year’s scandal.

Susan E. Rice is the former United States National Security Advisor from 2013 to 2017.

Ryan Liptrot, Staff

In April of 2017, White House attorneys uncovered the fact that Susan Rice, President Obama’s former national security advisor, intentionally requested information about Trump campaign officials. The regular pattern of her requests was discussed in a National Security Council review of the U.S. government policy on “unmasking” certain civilians who may or may not have anything to do with the matter at all. As stated in the Bloomberg View, Ezra Cohen-Watnick, former Senior Director for Intelligence Programs, discovered Susan’s multiple requests to unmask U.S. persons in intelligence reports that relate to Trump transition activities. Rice defended herself during an interview with Andrea Mitchell about the scandal, and she stated that the requests “were simply apart of her job and needed to understand the gravity of the intelligence reports in order to protect national security.” The Senate Select Committee was more interested in what Ms. Rice had discovered about the issue. However, there were two very unhappy campers named Donald Trump and California Rep. Devin Nunes. President Trump was against Susan Rice coming to the committee about the issue. Trump stated, “Ms. Rice’s role would have a massive impact on the Russian hacking scandal.” He strongly believed Rice committed a serious crime against the White House and should have been punished, not rewarded. Rice fired back at his statement saying, “When the White House twists the truth, we are all less safe.” Susan Rice’s investigation was buried underneath all the other key components of the Russian hacking investigation.

Susan Rice recently revealed the real reason she was requesting information on Senior Trump officials. This was because of an unexpected visit from Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, also known as the “crown prince of the UAE”.

Nevertheless, Susan Rice has returned to headlines and recently revealed to sources why she really decided to unmask the U.S. persons of intelligence. As reported by CNN, “Susan Rice privately told House investigators that she unmasked the identities of senior Trump officials to understand why the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, was in New York late last year.” Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan was travelling to Manhattan for a private meeting with Trump officials, including Michael Flynn. The Obama administration was alarmed by his presence in NYC since it is custom for foreign officials to notify to United States government about their upcoming travels to any state. According to CNN, “A senior Middle East official told CNN that the UAE did not “mislead” the Obama administration about the crown prince’s visit, but acknowledge not telling the US government about it in advance.” The Republicans who first accused Susan Rice of committing a crime are satisfied with this latest revelation. It is still unknown whether the president himself is satisfied as well with Rice’s confession.

President Trump believed Ms. Rice made a major mistake in unmasking his top officials.