The Excalibur

Gomez’s Battle Against Lupus

Dr. Naveed Masani, a Nephrologist at NYU Winthrop Hospital, claims it is normal for lupus patients like Gomez to need kidney transplants.

Ryan Liptrot, Staff

During the summer of 2017, Selena Gomez went through a long processes of getting a kidney transplant. Selena took to Instagram and posted a picture of her holding hands with her best friend and organ donor, Francia Raisa. Her caption stated, “I am very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of. So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering. It was what I needed to do for my overall health. I honestly look forward to sharing with you, soon my journey through these past several months as I have always wanted to do with you. Until then I want to publicly thank my family and incredible team of doctors for everything they have done for me prior to and post-surgery. And finally, there aren’t words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa. She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis. Lupus continues to be very misunderstood but progress is being made.” The paragraph later went on describing how people could help out and become more informed on her disease. Her best friend and organ donor, Francia Raisa, eventually came out to media outlets and said that she was “more than happy” to give Selena her kidney.

It took over three months for Selena to recover from her surgery.

As reported by CNN, Francia also posted the picture on her Instagram account saying, “I am beyond grateful that God would trust me with something that not only saved a life but changed mine in the process. This was part of our story, and we will share it soon, but what is important now is that this is not the only story.” So the only question left is, what exactly is Lupus? According to USA Today, “Lupus is an autoimmune disease, meaning the body cannot differentiate between its own healthy tissue and foreign invaders. The antibodies or blood-borne proteins responsible for deciding biological friend from foe cause inflammation in various parts of the body. These problems tend to flare up and then abate over time.” Nephrologist Dr. Naveed N. Masani stated, “Lupus is the ultimate autoimmune disease. 60-90% of patients with the disease have kidney involvement. The kidneys are kind of prime real-estate, if you will, for the combination of your body attacking itself and the products they make. The kidneys are your filters. Every minute of the day, 100 drops of your blood pass through your kidneys to get cleaned. In the case of lupus nephritis patients, granola-shaped clumps of waste get stuck in the kidneys and accumulate, progressively damaging the kidneys. It’s not unusual for kidney function to decline to the point of needing dialysis or a transplant within a couple of years, as Gomez did. Depending on when patients get diagnosed and how bad things are, kidneys can deteriorate rapidly. However, they don’t always since new medications have helped slow the decay and topple kidney failure as the leading cause of death for lupus patients. Now it is premature cardiac. But they have to be able to tolerate those meds. They have a lot of side effects.” The National Institutes of Health reports that the side effects of lupus medication include infection, liver damage, decreased fertility, increased risk of cancer, nausea, diarrhea, and fever. Now that Selena is done with her summer recovery, she is back at work and is taking on a role in Woody Allen’s next feature film. The project is still untitled, but Ms. Gomez claims this movie will change her reputation in the film industry.

Her best friend, Francia Raisa (right), says she was more than happy to donate her kidney to help Selena’s health issues.