The Excalibur

The Effects of Hurricane Harvey

Houston, Texas residence evacuate from homes after being trapped for over three hours.

Scott Olson

Scott Olson

Ryan Liptrot, Staff

Hurricane Harvey was one of, if not the most, destructive hurricane in United States history. The hurricane destroyed homes mainly around southeast Texas. However, there is much more to the hurricane than meets the eye. Hurricane Harvey first originated from the African coast back in early August of 2017. It then transformed into Tropical Storm Harvey on August 17th. The storm later turned into a tropical depression on August 23rd while it was moving forward towards the Gulf of Mexico. Harvey managed to reach Rockport, Texas, on the evening of August 25th, and it was America’s first major hurricane since Hurricane Wilma in Florida.

Even though the storm may be over and done with, the sufferings of the victims are not. Families in Houston are still heavily relying on food banks and shelters to fend for the women and children. Tosha Atibu, a Harvey victim, stated, “I know it is not a safe place to be, but I don’t know where else I can go.” She and her family apparently had to leave their home due to floodwaters. According to CNN, about 20,000 civilians are remaining in shelters or hotels right now, three weeks after Hurricane Harvey, and it will cost over $75 billion to repair the damages. Despite the negative effects, there are some signs of progression in Houston, Texas. For instance, minors are attending school again, water treatment plants are being fixed, and interstates are opening. Lathan Oliver, another hurricane survivor, “As you can see, all the possessions I own are now a total waste. But we didn’t lose a life in my neighborhood, and I am forever grateful that everyone made it out alive.”

This aerial view shows destruction caused to apartments in Rockport, Texas after the hurricane landfall.

With the influence of social media swarming around, celebrities are also taking part in raising awareness for the victims of Harvey. They are opening up both their hearts and checkbooks to help out. The Washington Post reported that celebrities have publicly announced over $10 million in donations to aid relief efforts. For example, Sandra Bullock recently gave away over $1 million to the Red Cross Organization, and Kevin Hart created the “Harvey Challenge” where he posted videos on social media encouraging his fellow celebrities to donate as much money, if not more, than he did. There is surely still much work to be done in order to get things back where they started, but something as simple as a generous donation can help someone you may or may not know. The Houston Food Bank is always looking for volunteers on the weekends, and the Red Cross is still waiting for plenty more donations to the cause.

Interstate 69 was covered in floodwaters after the storm.