The Excalibur

Tough Competition

Getting recruited to play college sports is a very difficult and competitive process.

This is a map of some of the big division one colleges that offer many athletic programs.

Haley Triplett, Staff

The college recruitment process can be a long and stressful process to some, but for others the process may come easier. While getting recruited to play in college, there are rules that college coaches must follow. These rules are created by the NCAA (National College Athletics Association), but every division has different rules when it comes to recruitment. In college sports, there many different divisions which include division 1, division 2, division 3, and NAIA. Division 1 and 2 colleges tend to have stricter recruiting rules than do division 3 and NAIA schools. The best athletic college division an athlete can play in is division one, which is home to conferences like the SEC and the ACC. Division one isn’t for everyone, so  some athletes choose lower division for a better fit. One of the recruiting rules for division one soccer coaches is that a coach can’t contact a player until September first of the junior year. This means that Freshmen and Sophomores have to call the coaches instead of the coaches calling them.

Almost every athlete who dreams of playing in college also dreams of receiving a scholarship from schools that are interested in them. Different sports have different amounts of scholarships to give out. Division one colleges have larger budgets to deal with and more athletic scholarships to give out than the other divisions. For example, a division one college football team is allowed to give out around 85 scholarships to players. These scholarships range from 10% all the way to a full scholarship. Players also have to maintain at least a 3.5 GPA or higher to be eligible for a scholarship. There are millions of kids out there who share the same dreams of getting recruited but there are only so many spots on these teams. This drives kids to be really competitive and fight for one of those open spots.

The recruiting process can start in middle school, even though most schools like to commit their players during their sophomore and junior years. Sophomore and Junior year are huge recruiting years for young athletes. If a certain person is really good and shows tremendous work ethic, some colleges will even commit 7th or 8th graders but that rarely happens. Players have to start emailing coaches to come see them play at their league games and tournaments. They also can attend college camps, so the coaches can get players on campus and work closer with potential recruits. In the huge scheme of things, the process will come a lot smoother to most if they put a lot of time and effort into it. It’s definitely a fight, but athletes will get out what they put in.  

This is the Logo that The NCAA uses on their websites and their NCAA approved balls.