The Excalibur

Pinecrest Varsity Fencing Team

Andrew Flowers, Staff

The Fencing team has undergone immense growth since the varsity startup at Pinecrest Academy. It became a varsity sport in the school year 2015- 2016. Since then, the team now has their own practice place versus practicing in the Cafeteria or in Dr. Morris’ room. The team has also grown in number and skill throughout the years. Now in almost every tournament there has been someone who has finished in the top sixteen.

The team first started as a club in Ms. Donlon’s room. It had around four people in the club. The team consisted of all Pinecrest Alumni; Marty Wehner, Nicole Chi, Jan Rodriguez, and Sofia Skokanich. The team participated in high school tournaments around the county. When the team competed, they were against 6A schools. As time progressed, the team improved more and as a result, they started doing better against these schools. We had someone who finished in the top three! Even outside of Pinecrest Academy, fencing has grown. It has become more widely popular and more seen by other people. It has also been in commercials advertising for sports companies. The Pinecrest Fencing Team has now added a middle school team that is able to practice with the varsity team, so they can get them ready for when they come to high school. This is a huge advantage because it helps prepare the middle school students and also will help the team continue to expand. It helps advertise the sport to the middle school students to encourage them to join and try a sport that they might not know much about and want to try.