The Excalibur

Party Between the Pines

Pinecrest Academy takes homecoming tradition very seriously and this year was no exception. Friday, October 13th the Pinecrest Paladins faced the Fellowship Paladins and fought to defend their own turf.

Haley Jones, Editor

Homecoming is a huge deal at Pinecrest. It is a well-known tradition Between the Pines; it’s practically a holiday. It all starts Monday morning at 7:45 with students coming to school dressed to such extravagant themes as safari day, character day, America day, and spirit wear. However, the climax of the week comes Friday night: the homecoming football game. Going into the game, Coach Mathis wanted his team to be focused on the game and on giving their school a night to remember, “Homecoming is a special time. I want all that attend to leave with a special memory of this years homecoming. We have to do our part by giving them a great game.” It is more than another Friday Night Lights at the home stadium; alumni are welcomed home, there is a pep rally for the whole school, and several high school girls are picked to represent the school on Homecoming Court. The pep rally begins with the Varsity Cheerleading team performing their halftime routine along with a couple of cheers to get the crowd engaged. Then, the student government plans a few games like tug-of-war, and students get hype about the fun-filled weekend. A couple of hours later, students cram the bleachers full at the football field and get ready to cheer on their Paladins. This year, the theme was Blackout, and the student section did not disappoint. The football players also got brand new black uniforms to match this exciting occasion. At 7:30 promptly, our Paladins set up on the line of scrimmage to take on Fellowship Christian; they were ready to take down the well-known rival. Our boys tried their best to not get caught up in the fast-paced, whirl-wind of the weekend, and Coach Mathis made sure to tell them to focus. He said “One thing we are trying to do is not get caught up in the moment of homecoming. Also, we are trying to take the next step to success by playing for each other.” The Pines were shaking for sure, and our team fought hard both for each other and for a win. Ultimately, our battle was not enough, and the Pinecrest Paladins fell 41-0. However, if you know the Paladins, you know that a loss like this is not enough to bring the community down. Following Coach Mathis’ coaching philosophy, “Play hard, play fast, and have fun doing it,” the Paladins made sure not to disappoint. Despite the loss, festivities still continued, and halftime was a special experience for twelve lucky girls. Representing the freshman class was Graciela Figueras and Katelyn Bradbury. Representing the sophomore class were Gemma Camacho and Kylie Martinez. Representing the junior class were Ana Serna and Claire Rivard. Representing the senior class were Sydney Clever, Haley Jones, Maddie Lynch, and Bridgid McCabe. Bridgid McCabe was crowned Homecoming Queen, which brought a happy ending to the whole evening. Ultimately, our Paladin football players were able to prove to us that even a shutout cannot tear down our Paladin spirit because we will always get back up and keep fighting!