The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

When It Rains, It Pours

People often do not take into account the sufferings of others just a few continents away. Organizations like Save the Rain have been created to instill hope in people from one community to the next.

Save The Rain is an organization that builds huge water collecting tanks to collect raindrops and filtering the water into clean drinking water. By doing so, children no longer have to miss school to fetch their own water.

Haley Jones, Editor

Water-it’s an essential nutrient for survival and overall well-being. But what happens when people have no easy way of getting it? That is exactly the case in most of Africa. Every 15 seconds, a child dies from a lack of clean water. Children are responsible for fetching the water pails while the father goes to work and the mother tends to take care of the house typically, but what happens when it’s time for school? Much of the time, children are left with no choice but to miss school because without water, life is threatened. But how can this be fixed?

Thanks to some generous helping hands, Denali Jordan started Save The Rain, an organization that provides huge water tanks on school grounds to give children the clean water they need. Then, they don’t have to travel and miss school. Why is this organization so significant? Many people agree on the immense impact education has on one’s life. Without an education, it is much harder to create a suitable life with many opportunities. If children are forced to constantly miss school to collect clean water in Tanzania, they are not able to reach their fullest abilities in the classroom. Furthermore, 443 million school days are lost every year due to sickness caused by unsafe and dirty water. In the words of this organization’s founder, “I love Save the Rain, because it is humble, modest, simple, yet accomplishes great deeds of goodness that are so desperately needed. My heart has expanded beyond its borders because we have become one family with the people we work with in Africa. I love being a Save the Rain board member because when we meet, we meet in the spirit of honesty, humbleness and heartfelt sorrow for our brothers and sisters in Africa. My soul soars knowing that 100% of donation money goes directly to the projects. I am filled with gratitude to all who participate in making this world a better and safer place in which to co-exist in.”

This is one of the water tanks that Save the Rain has built on school grounds. It collects raindrops and filters it into clean drinking water for students to drink. It is an example of a simple technology advancement that has in turn saved so many lives.

How does one help out this organization, and how do individuals get involved in this project, even though there is not a direct threat in their area? While yes, this problem does not affect any American, it is important to be a gracious world citizen and use resources to help all people live their best life. As Mother Teresa stated, “Live simply so that others may live.” This speaks volumes to this project; water is something that many Americans take for granted because it has always been a constant in their lives. This is not the case, especially in many areas of Africa. It really is in the best interest of every person to make an impact on another person’s life because if that can be achieved, the world would be a more powerful place.

Here are some school children the writer met while in Tanzania. They were VERY passionate about this organization, talking about how much English they have had the chance to learn since they no longer miss school!

Save The Rain has created many small projects to help others get involved and contribute to their organization, such as giving tips on how to start a fundraising committee, suggesting ways of cutting down on personal water consumption, and SPEAKING UP about the issues at hand. Many people have no idea what the conditions of others are, and it is important to have these issues KNOWN. How can the average high school student get involved? A student can start a GoFundMe page to help these children in Africa get the resources they so badly need, speak up about the world’s injustices in hopes of creating a brighter future for others, or if one is lucky enough, go visit the school grounds in Tanzania where this very project started. It may just change a  life for the better, and open a heart a little wider.