The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Think Before You Post

Social media is a main form of communication, but many people do not think before they post, and it ends up affecting their life in the future.

The logo shown in the photo above represents the popularly used form of social media known as Instagram. Instagram is typically used for sharing photos, commenting on photos, and direct messaging people through the app.

Caroline Murphy, Staff

This generation is widely influenced by social media. Due to children growing up with social media as a normal thing, it has made posting social updates much more common. Children are not the only people influenced by the stream of social media, adults have caught onto the trend too. There are many positive things about social media, but with great power comes great responsibility. Thinking before posting is something that is not stressed enough. One may be fifteen right now, but when they are trying to get a job and their employer sees vulgar language and inappropriate content, they may rethink giving them that job.

Jobs are not the only thing commonly affected by social media though. Many college students have been expelled from their university due to thoughtless and offensive posts to facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. On the so-called anonymous commenting app, Yik Yak, college student,Thaddeus Pryor, wrote a comment under the post “#blackwomenmatter” reading, “They matter, they’re just not hot.” A small amount of time had passed until he got a letter stating that he had violated his college’s “abusive behavior” and “disruption of college activities” rules with the post he shared while thinking it was anonymous. He received the punishment of a two-year suspension, affecting his life drastically.

Something that is not often considered while posting comments on social media is that readers cannot typically tell the tone being used through text. It is extremely easy to read things out of context. Emotions are typically shown through physical traits and the tone of voice used. Someone may comment, “I hate you!” or something along the lines of that with the intention of it sounding like a joke, but the receiver of the comment may interpret the comment as something meant to hurt them causing people to become hurt and upset.

Snapchat is a well-known form of social media often used for communications through photos that disappear after ten seconds. This is a commonly used form of social media among teenagers.

Many people who run accounts on social media do not understand the concept that even if the account being posted on is set as private or the post is said to be anonymous, it is not private or anonymous. The post will stay forever whether one believes it or not. Every action has a consequence, good or bad. Snapchat is another form of social media often abused due to the fact that people are so hooked on this idea of the image they are sending disappears after ten seconds. As much as people would like to think that their embarrassing and often inappropriate selfies are deleted after ten seconds, the picture taken will forever exist. Anything posted or sent on social media will be kept on record. People hear the concept of everything posted is there forever but not everybody believes and understands it.

In the end, remember that social media may be fun and useful at times, but what is said and posted is there forever. So next time someone decides to make a post, consider their  future employers seeing it when they are considering making a job offer to work for them.

Twitter has been a popular form of social media for a while now. This app is used to express events, emotions, etc. through short captions. It is used by people all over the world.