The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Meet Your Lady Paladins

With many changes made on the Varsity Volleyball team the girls strive to make this season the best one yet!

The Varsity Volleyball Team after their wins against George Walton Academy and Monroe area on August 22, 2017.

Catherine Clark, Staff

Meet your 2017 Varsity Volleyball team!!! This team consists of only eight players, and while the bench may not be full, they are as determined as ever to make it to the state playoffs. The team is led by captains Caroline Clark and Vanessa Fowler,who are long time players. Caroline is a middle blocker;  at 6’ 2” she leads the team in terms of stats and was recognized as the number one blocker in the state for class 1A during the 2016 season. Caroline plays club volleyball for A5 and has been a member of the varsity team for four years. Vanessa Fowler has played volleyball for eight years and has played club for A5, GA5, Prolink Atlanta, Atlanta Extreme, and Intensity. Vanessa leads the team as main setter and is a key player this season in terms of success. Vanessa has also been a member of the varsity volleyball team for three years.

Senior captains Caroline Clark and Vanessa Fowler. This was picture was taken at Mount Paran on August 24.

Other key players this season consist of Annie Irlbeck, Anne Marie Doxtader, and Allison Clark. Annie Irlbeck is a junior and resident outside hitter on the court,who leads alongside Caroline Clark in terms of hitting percentage. Annie plays club for Prolink Atlanta and has been on varsity for three years. Anne Marie is new to the team, with this being her first season playing varsity. She is the other outside hitter on the team, and with her dig rate this season, she is definitely one to watch. Lastly, another key player on the team is perhaps the youngest player on the team. Allison Clark, who is a sophomore, leads the team with service rates by having the highest serving rate percentage on the team. Allison is known for the positive energy and drive she brings to the team.

Since Vanessa Fowler and Caroline Clark’s freshman year many changes have occur on the volleyball team. Many older players graduated including: Keely Denkman, Tessa Stubbs, and Gabby Wesemeyer to name just a few. There also have been many coaching changes.Meg Bohn stepped down as head volleyball coach and Sandy Seiferth was named new head coach. Many players quit or stepped away from the program during these trying times. For the 2017 season, a new coach was named. Sarah Stubbs and Gino Acevedo lead the girls as the new Varsity Volleyball coaches. Sarah Stubbs, who played on the team during her highschool years, is elated to be back and involved with the program. Many say she is a breath of fresh air. With it still being early in the season, there are a few kinks to work out. Libero Brooke Miller is still coping with her ACL injury, which caused her to overcompensate with her left leg, so she had  a minor hip injury during pre season. During this time, middle hitter Caroline Clark has been covering the back row and leads the team currently with the highest number of digs. The girls motto this season is GET SOME : Go Every Time So Others May Everytime. With the fiery attitudes and the pure determination, the Varsity Volleyball team is striving and succeeding this season. Come out and support your Lady Paladins!!!

Senior Maya Green and Sophomore Allison Clark at team bonding on Sunday August 27. This team binding allowed the girls to grow stronger as a team.