The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Last Friday Night

Senior Michael Birozes prepares to throw as an Eagle attempts to block him.

Caroline Jeffcoat, Staff

On Friday, August 25th, Pinecrest Academy, a school of only a little more than three hundred, traveled less than a mile to the 7A powerhouse South Forsyth. The neighboring Goliath is home to almost 2,700 students, nine times more kids than Pinecrest. The size difference reflected on the teams rosters as well. Pinecrest sported a roster of just over thirty players, while South filled their sideline with one-hundred plus.

The game was played on August 25, at South Forsyth. Also known as “The Battle of Peachtree Parkway.”

Pinecrest got off to a slow start, a very slow start. Pinecrest was unable to gain a first down until the second quarter, when the punter was roughed and penalty yards moved them past the sticks. On the other side of the ball, South Forsyth was clicking, scoring on every possession they had. Pinecrest went into the half with negative rushing yards, and down 49 points.

When Pinecrest came out of the locker room at half, they had one goal in mind, win the half. Pinecrest felt that if they could manage to do this, the team would carry enough momentum into the season in order to make a splash in the region. South Forsyth deferred to the second half so they received the kick from junior Conner Sassine. First down, South forsyth runs a tackle and fumbles the ball. Pinecrest’s Michael Birozes recovers the ball. At this moment, Pinecrest is in business.

The 1A school drives down the field, excitement in the air as the feeling that they might put up their first points in two years fills the stands. Fourth down, left hash, 10 yard line, Conner Sassine puts up a field goal to put them on the board. 49-3 now. The 2nd half lead for Pinecrest did not last however as the South marched down the field as they did in the first half and scored again. 56-3.

Six minutes left in the 4th quarter. Pinecrest has the ball on their own 29. A pass to junior, Hogan Palmer, brings the ball to around the 40 yard line, first down. Pinecrest then decides to run the ball with senior running back Brooks Binkley, he only picks up one. Next play, a screen pass to Peter Hoover gets snuffed out by the South defenders. Pinecrest loses four yards on the play. Third down and long, Pinecrest lines up and trips left, looking to continue their drive to win the half. Senior QB Micky Mangan drops back in the pocket, the line holds. Micky sends up a prayer to his brother Colby Mangan. Colby catches the pass and is brought down at the fifteen yard line. Pinecrest is knocking on the door again. Coach Mathis looks to take advantage of a fatigued d-line and goes back to running back Brooks Binkley. He gets the ball, cuts right and is brought down after a hard-fought ten yards. 1st down and goal from the 5. Coach goes back to the same play. Brooks Binkley goes five yards, breaks 5 tackles and scores. The fans on the Pinecrest sideline are electric, making more noise than they have all night. Pinecrest was able to hold South and the score, winning the second half 10-7.

Pinecrest ready to tackle a South Forsyth Player. Number 4 anxiously awaits this tackle.