The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Cricket: The Game of India

As the Indian population increases, cricket becomes more popular.

This picture shows the cricket field and how it is set up during a game. If the striker happened to hit it over the boundary then 4 to 6 runs would be scored. If the ball bounced before it went over the boundary then 4 runs would be scored. If the ball didn't bounce and passed over to boundary then 6 runs would be scored.

Andrew Flowers, Staff

As the diversity of The United States increases, different cultures starts to make an impact. One of the populations that is growing the most is the Indian population. As the Indian population increases in Georgia, people start learn more about the culture and people learn to adapt. One of the many popular sports in India is cricket. The United States has always had cricket; it just was not as popular; however, the increase of the Indian population is changing that.

Cricket is a bat and ball game. Typically there are two teams with 11 players on each side. At the center of the cricket field there is a 22-yard-long place where the pitcher throws the ball. The pitcher aims for the wicket, a set of three wooden stumps topped with two bails (bails are little wooden pieces that stand on top of the wooden stumps.) There are usually one or two turns of plays. These turns of play are called innings, where one team bats and the other team is on the field. Once the teams are ready to switch, a new inning starts.

The game begins when there are 11 fielders and two batters. The play begins when one of the members of the team, known as the bowler, pitches the ball and aims for the two wickets. The wickets are guarded by a batsman, also known as a striker. There is also a wicket keeper, he stands behind the wickets. The objective of the bowler is to make the striker be dismissed (out) and be replaced with a teammate. A bowler goes through overs, which are six deliveries bowled by the same bowler. The next over will then be pitched from the other side of the pitch by a different bowler.

The most common form of being dismissed in cricket is when the bowler hits the stumps with the ball he pitched, and it hits the wickets, knocking off the bails. The goal of the striker is to prevent the bowler from hitting the wickets. Another way of getting the striker out is when the striker hits the ball into the air, and one of the fielders catches it before it hits the ground.In this case, the striker will be dismissed.

Runs are scored in two different ways- the striker hitting the ball hard enough to hit it out of the boundary or the two strikers swapping ends, running the length of the pitch, and swapping directions when they get to the end. If the fielder retrieves the ball fast enough to put down a wicket before the striker reaching the end of the pitch, then that striker is dismissed. The calls on the field are usually performed by two umpires who communicate with two off-field scorers, one per team, about dismissals, overs, and runs.

This image shows the stumps, the ball, and the bails. Currently the ball hit one of the stumps or it hit one the bails directly and is knocking off the bial which would result in the striker being dismissed.

Cricket is most popular in India, which is located in Asia. Its origins are uncertain, but many believe that it came from south-east England in the 16th century. Cricket started to spread around the world as the British Empire began to grow. Cricket was so popular that it was in the olympics one time, in the 1900’s. In the Olympics, Great Britain won the gold with 158 runs scored.