The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Movies vs the Real Thing

A look into the realism of the action scenes in famous sport movies.

The Karate Kid is a classic sports movie that teaches people that you can’t just wake up and do something. You have to work towards a goal.

Kelsey Bingham, Staff

Hollywood has produced hundreds of sports films throughout the years. Movies such as The Blind Side and Rocky have touched the hearts of millions. Even if someone does not like these kinds of movies or sports in general, everyone knows the tournament scene from The Karate Kid or the fencing duel from The Princess Bride. These classic cinema moments have lived on for years, but have you ever stopped and wondered just how accurate they are?

How many people have listened to the Rocky theme song while working out? Probably everyone at some point. This Academy Award winning film has grown into a pop culture sensation, but how accurate is the boxing in this film? Reddit user Rameez Ahmad says “They’re really nothing like a real fight. The number of punches thrown, the number of punches landed, and the fighters’ non-existent defense are all very unrealistic. Real boxing is much more measured, defense-centric and much faster.” Fellow user Dan Paik adds “In real life, I’ve never seen a guy in real boxing, wrestling, MMA, etc. go from the brink of literally being killed in the ring, to have superhuman intestinal fortitude, to then suddenly become immune to getting hurt only to hurt the other person and knock them out with a single punch. In the Rocky movies, the punches are way too cleanly hit. It’s like they are taking turns letting the opponent punch you in the face. That doesn’t happen in real life.”Now the Rocky movies may not have the most realistic boxing, but to this day they continue to tell a great sports story.

Each chore Miyagi has Daniel do is accompanied with a specific movement, such as clockwise/counter-clockwise hand motions, which can be transferred into Karate.

The director of Rocky went on to direct another classic underdog sports story many are familiar with. The Karate Kid has lived close to the hearts of man for more than thirty years now. Most professionals have no problem with the fight scenes in the movies. It is a movie and there’s going to be choreographed fight scenes. However, the part where The Karate Kid knocks his opponent out with a crane kick is extremely unrealistic. Reddit user Kelly Givens says, “Only someone blind or just not paying attention could not react or notice that.” The iconic “wax on wax” off scene is dubbed “brilliant” by martial artist Fred Waters. He goes on to say “You can do this. You could press a keyboard key and it could be a block. It’s a brilliant idea. Dre was learning kung fu but didn’t know he was learning kung fu. You have to do the thing repetitiously.”