The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Reimagined Renaissance

Animation giant announces multiple live-action remakes of their classic films

Kelsey Bingham, Staff

After the surprise success of Disney’s new adaptations of classics, such as the Jungle Book, Cinderella, and Alice in Wonderland, the company recently announced more than fifteen of their classic animated films are being rebooted into live action. This announcement has come into much controversy and is raising many questions such as, how will the original cartoons be affected by the reimaginations? Will the movies do well in the box office? And how will this decision affect the company as a whole?

Time Magazine gives an excellent point on why there is so much discontent among long time Disney fans, “While the trend of remaking animated classics isn’t new, many of the upcoming remakes—including Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, The Lion King and Aladdin—come from Disney’s famed Renaissance period, which started in 1989 and captivated a generation of viewers with songs and characters that remain influential today.” To many people, the idea of someone tampering with something so classic is insane.

In the list given, Disney is only adapting their 2-D animated films. Some think this is to keep the beloved stories relevant to a new generation. Others think this is a giant cash grab used to cash in on nostalgia. Junior Aly Steinbach states, “I’m happy that they are making the princess movies and other classic Disney movies relevant for modern children, because most of them (movies) are locked in the Disney vault, and a lot of kids don’t like cartoons as much as they enjoy live action. However, I am extremely upset. Because I don’t think the live action films are anywhere as good as the original cartoons. Especially since Disney is a multi-billion dollar company and its CGI looks like it belongs to a million dollar company. If you are going to have a movie that relies heavily on CGI it better be Avatar quality.” Aly brings up a fantastic correlation between the state of Disney’s technology and the amount of movies they will produce. Will the company be able to keep up the effects at the pace they’re going? Is Disney rushing into these reboots without being able to provide something new? Will they just continue remaking their classic 2D films until people are only able to recognize the live-action? In a time where the only studios consistently producing non digital 3D animated films are independent or foreign, it is difficult to watch an esteemed company redo classic pieces of art.  However, 2016’s The Jungle Book is being praised for its astounding visuals and technological advancements. The live action films may be a fleeting cash grab or turn into another respectable classic retelling of a timeless story.

List of planned Disney remakes

1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. Dumbo
  3. The Lion King
  4. The Sword in the Stone
  5. Genies (Aladdin)
  6. Cruella (101 Dalmations)
  7. Mulan
  8. Winnie the Pooh
  9. Prince Charming (Cinderella)
  10. Peter Pan
  11. Tinkerbell
  12. Pinocchio
  13. Jungle Book 2
  14. Maleficent 2
  15. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  16. Chip N’ Dale Rescue Rangers
  17. Chernabog (Fantasia)
  18. Mary Poppins Returns