The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Broadway Hit Blows Us All Away

The rap musical about the founding fathers rewrites the game for broadway

Lin-Manuel Miranda poses as Alexander Hamilton with the rest of the cast standing victoriously behind him during the song “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)”

Kelsey Bingham, Staff

If you haven’t heard of Hamilton, you have probably been living under a rock. The new hip hop, pop, and rap musical about the life of founding father, Alexander Hamilton, has taken the world by storm. Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote the music and lyrics for the show, and later starred as the immigrant orphan character. His show is being praised for its diverse cast, intriguing lyrics, and its engaging take on history. Having won eleven Tony’s, including best musical, it’s no surprise it’s been earning attention from the public. The show has gotten so much attention that it is nearly impossible to obtain a ticket. It is quickly becoming one of the highest grossing Broadway shows of all time.

The success of Hamilton brings in new positives to Broadway. Many people who wouldn’t normally listen to showtunes decided to give Hamilton a chance and fell in love with it. Junior Vanessa Fowler listened to the show in just one day after much peer pressure from her friends. She says “I’ll be drawn to Broadway shows because Hamilton was really good even though it’s about history, which I hate, so I’ll probably decide to give other shows a chance.” By falling in love with a Broadway show, Vanessa is now open minded about the theater and will most likely pay to see other shows. Many people have done this and the proof is in the ticket sales. According to Broadway Grosses, ticket sales have gone up two million since the last year.

Led mainly by a cast of African American and Latino actors, Hamilton brings an extremely rich and diverse set of characters to Broadway. The shows creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda states, “Our cast looks like America looks now and that’s certainly intentional. It’s a way of pulling you into the story and allowing you to leave any cultural baggage you have about the founding fathers at the door.” This creative decision works in the show’s favor, by casting people from all walks of life, giving the show more access to talent with no limitations and making people feel a closer connection with the characters.

Based off Ron Chernow’s biography Alexander Hamilton, the musical tells the story of the founding of our country, a subject most students have been forced to study since a young age. Before Hamilton most students wouldn’t be able to say that Aaron Burr tied with Thomas Jefferson during The Election of 1800. Now they know that Marquis de Lafayette is America’s favorite fighting frenchman. Many students who have listened to the show get extremely excited when the ten dollar founding father, Alexander Hamilton, gets mentioned and feel the need to do well in the class out of love for the events. Junior Kate Lahey states, “Listening to the musical has definitely made learning history more entertaining because it brings the people we study to life. It indirectly uses modern music to teach what would normally be a dreaded history lesson. Hamilton reminds us that history is always being made.” Hamilton is an international sensation and continues to grow into more of a phenomenon that is worth to see.

The show first debuted off-broadway February 2015. Due to its success it quickly moved to broadway August that same year.