The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Igniting Passions

Pinecrest Academy, juniors in high school are assigned an ignite team to serve the community in a variety fields of interest.

The Uga Miracle team runs a fundraiser by selling Chick-fil-a Chicken Biscuits on Thursday mornings in order to raise money for Childhood Cancer. The team is making signs and posters to advertise the upcoming sale

Haley Jones, Staff

Igniting Passions

Pinecrest Academy esteems itself in its copious amounts of community service performed. Students are required a minimum of ten hours a year, but are encouraged to extend their time spent helping others with incentives such as honor rolls and various accolades. Specifically, the junior class has the most unique projects. They participate in groups that partner up with different organizations and spend all year doing service work, better known as Ignite Teams. Ignite is a global organization that focuses on using Christian ministry and service in order to build strong Christian leaders in society. The organization believes that people should not have to choose between social values and financial performance; both can be achieved.

There are seven different teams that are divided between the junior boys and girls. One example is Becca’s Closet run by Mrs. D’Urso. Becca’s Closet is a non-profit organization that takes new and gently used dresses and donates them to girls less fortunate who are unable to buy a dress for their dance. The blood drive team sponsored by Dr. Morris, partners with the Red Cross, and organizes a blood drive in which students can donate their blood to the Red Cross who furthermore can help patients in dire need.Then there is Middle School Retreat lead by Ms. Roman and Mr. Hunyn. The Middle School retreat team is responsible for planning all of the religious retreats for the middle schoolers and organizing spending costs and finding locations to host each retreat. Ms. O’Connor project, The Lenten Campaign is another option for the juniors to serve the community. This campaign is different every year. Last year, students worked with Ms. O’Connor to raise money to help build an orphanage in the Congo and raise money to be able to buy beds and food for these children. Each year the group picks a different project and does it in the spirit of Lent. Another venture is the Lower School Mentoring Team run by Mrs. Flanagan. The juniors get the opportunity to work with the lower school children, and act as a big brother/sister. Anything those students need; from tutoring, to advice, to having a trusted friend, which really helps with the transition from lower school to middle school. This gives students the chance to not only help the little kids, but also get experience in being a true role model and having their actions and moves replicated by kids who look up to them. Mrs. Mitchell supports the UGA Miracle where the team partners up with students at The University of Georgia and raises money for childhood cancer research in order to fund doctors and scientists efforts to find a cure. They have various fundraisers, but their biggest is the dance marathon hosted at UGA. Finally is Volleytage, run by Mr. Hoyer which has become a  new tradition at Pinecrest. Volleytage is a project where students host a competitive volleyball tournament and can dress up, form teams, and compete against each other to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.

These seven teams all have completely different projects but an identical goal in mind, to help others. Community service is of utmost importance in order to be a strong Christian leader, and a good samaritan. Students at Pinecrest Academy strive each and every day to become strong Christian leaders who truly want to make a difference in society. Ignite helps cause a chain reaction that spreads ideas and opportunities that others can build on. The influence caused by these projects are intended to impact the community in a positive way, and inspire others to start reaching out in their respective communities.

The Becca’s Closet Team is modeling the donated dresses for their Instagram account. By previewing the dress on Instagram, clients can see their options ahead of time, and get excited about what the Becca’s Closet team has to offer!