The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Breaking News Inside CNN

Members of Pinecrest’s journalism class, along with Senora Zalzman and Mrs. Chwat, recently journeyed down to the CNN Center for a fun filled and enlightening experience.

As Senora Zalzman fired up Mother Goose, the beloved Pinecrest bus, journalism students along with Mrs. Chwat piled in for their highly anticipated field trip to the CNN center.  The ride was long but passed by briefly as it was, filled with the usual laughter and “chisme” that fills our journalism class.   Before our tour began, we dined upon all the gourmet food the CNN center food court has to offer us like Taco Bell and Chick -Fil -A. After our five-star feast, Senora brought us back to where we have our photo ID’s taken so we can finally see what we came here for.  As we took our photos, we were greeted by friend of Senora Zalzman’s and journalist extraordinaire, William Echeverria.  Mr. Echeverria took us on our tour, however, he showed us a different side of the CNN Center.  He led us into where all the magic happens, CNN International.  William Echeverria showed us a day in the life of an employee working for CNN International.  We were able to put our fabulous Spanish speaking skills to use at last as Mr. Echeverria spoke a portion of our tour in Spanish, being that he was from Venezuela.  Perhaps more interesting than the tour itself was the story of how William Echeverria came to work for CNN International.

Having lived in Venezuela his whole life, William had shown interest in journalism at a young age. As an adult he rose through the ranks and become widely successful as he was the  Municipal and National Journalism Award Winner and Former President of the National Association of Journalists of  Venezuela.  Unfortunately, as Venezuela began to become overrun with corruption, Echeverria’s career began to threatened.  As the government was becoming increasingly strict and dangerous, Echeverria was essentially putting his life at risk by printing the truth, a core value of most journalists.  William Echeverria knew what he had to do for his own safety and the safety of his family.  The Echeverria family packed up and left for the foreign country we call home, America.  Originally, Mr. Echeverria was promised a job in Houston, Texas, however, upon arrival he discovered that no such job existed for him.  However, this ended up working out for him because he was soon offered another position that was an even better opportunity for him.  William along with the rest of the Echeverria family promptly moved to Atlanta where he was finally able to begin his new life as Copy Editor Writer at CNN En Espanol.

It was Mr. Echeverria’s story that truly made our tour so interesting.  After this unique experience at the CNN Center our journalism class reluctantly piled back into the bus and headed back to school with a new experience in tow.

William Echeverria, famous Venezuelan jounalist, now works for CNN International and guided the Excalibur staff along a fascinating tour.  Echeverria showed the journalism students what a typical day in the life consisted for a CNN International employee.

William Echeverria, famous Venezuelan jounalist, now works for CNN International and guided the Excalibur staff along a fascinating tour. Echeverria showed the journalism students what a typical day in the life consisted for a CNN International employee.

CNN International is a beehive filled with worker bees diligently working away to produce mass media stories for around the globe.  The Excalibur had a chance to see this in the works on their recent field trip to the CNN center.

CNN International is a beehive filled with worker bees diligently working away to produce mass media stories for around the globe. The Excalibur had a chance to see this in the works on their recent field trip to the CNN center.