The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

The Woman in White and Blue

Mother Teresa’s modern day road to sainthood

Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II riding the popemobile in Calcutta on February. 3, 1986.  Pope John Paul the second was one of Mother Teresa’s fan and supporter in her acts of charity around the world.

Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II riding the popemobile in Calcutta on February. 3, 1986. Pope John Paul the second was one of Mother Teresa’s fan and supporter in her acts of charity around the world.

Lily Starnes, Editor

The process of becoming a saint is a long and complicated one that begins where the person lived or died. In the case of Mother Teresa, it is the city of Kolkata. She moved there in 1928 after she joined the Loreto order. Nearly twenty years later, while on a train in India, she felt a calling from Jesus to care for the poor. From there she established the Missionaries of Charity where the poorest of the poor would be served. To be declared a saint, the congregation had to agree that she lived a virtuous life and performed at least two proven miracles through the intercession of God after her death.

The first miracle was in 1997. Monica Besra, an Indian women, was under acute pain due to a tumor in her abdomen. After seeing many doctors and receiving no answers, Besra headed to the Missionaries of Charity. It was the first death anniversary of Mother Teresa and the sisters and Monica were praying around a photo of her. As they were praying Besra felt a beam of light coming from the photograph. That evening the sisters decided to tie a medallion with Mother Teresa’s photo around Besra’s waist. That night she slept pain free and woke up the next morning free of tumors. Doctors were not able to explain the healing of her tumors in the short span of eight hours. This case helped Mother Teresa’s beatification and even making it one of the fastest in the history of the Catholic Church. According to canon law there is supposed to be five years between the candidate’s death and the beginning beatification. Pope John Paul II waived the requirement of the waiting period and began working on Mother Teresa’s cause of canonization less than two years after her death. Her second and last miracle was recognized by Pope Francis in December 2016. After loved ones of a Brazilian man prayed to Mother Teresa his brain tumors were healed. This miracle being the one that sealed the deal making the famous nun a saint.

Despite all of her miracles and acts of charity, Mother Teresa is called by some a “troubled individual”. Hemley Gonzalez, a volunteer who never met the saint in person, claims that the facilities she started were unsanitary and ran poorly. Some concluded that the donations given to Mother Teresa’s group the Missionaries of Charity could have gone towards upgrading their facilities. Gonzalez is in the minority that believes she was anything but a saint. To many, she should have been canonized years ago. Few religious personalities were as successful as Mother Teresa when it came to serving and promoting the Catholic faith. According to BBC, July of 1999 the Vatican received huge mailbags full of letters requesting her speedy sainthood.

Saint Teresa a nun who was five-feet tall and known for her iconic white saree with blue trim inspired people of all faiths or none. In her lifetime, she portrayed God’s tender mercy and radiated his love to so many through material and spiritual works of mercy. Mother Teresa taught that poverty was not just being homeless. The poverty of being unwanted , unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty of all.

Mother Teresa accepting the Nobel Peace Prize from Ronald Reagan in 1979. This prize, accompanied by $192,000, helped her continue to assist the poor in India and also constituted a threat to peace .

August. 14, 1982 Mother Teresa visited children in the Islamic Home which was shelled during the Israeli attacks on West Beirut.