The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

Behind the Scenes: Fashion Month

Olivia Jenkins, staff

Behind the Scenes: Fashion Month

10 interesting “behind the scene” facts that you did not know about fashion week!

As of right now, the frenzy of fashion month has ended its last week in Paris. Half a year’s worth of planning, including clothing and set design, invitation planning and backstage setup, has come down to a few minutes of glitz and glam. Outsiders of the business see this and often assume this work to be an easy yet well paid lifestyle but these events are more than parties, champagne, and gift bags. There are many preparations, unwritten etiquettes and fun facts that encompass the event, whether seen on the runway or backstage.

1. 15 Minutes of Fame

For the typical two shows a designer puts on a year, each one takes around half of the year to plan and execute. All of this time, hard work, and dedication all amount to a total of ten to 20 minutes. So as soon as one show is celebrated, the next season’s collection is started the following day.

2. Food Babies

The models are typically called in two hours before the show is set to start. Sometimes  starting time is easily and often pushed back, like the Marc Jacobs show that was delayed two hours. Since most models are coming from different shows, directions and time zones, there is an ample amount of food supplied backstage to re energize them. Although the simple finger food isn’t the healthiest, it is fast enough to where the distance from call time to the show gives for some digestion.

3. Port-a-Potties

Backstage is often times separate from the runways location and is transformed from a rented tent to a circus madhouse in the hours leading up towards the show. With time being of the essence, bathroom trips between mainstage and backstage cannot be the cause of tardiness. In order to solve this issue, port-a-potties are on the checklist of things to make a fashion possible.

4. Who’s Who

Not everyone attends these events to get all dolled up and go for a night on the town. In fact, 54% of those who are seated are editors and press, 30% are buyers, 13% are friends of the company, and the last 3% are celebrities. These stats, based on the most recent fashion weeks this September, demonstrate the true business behind the glamour. Although the celebrities, including the famous models, make the event appear more as a party, the true reason for hosting the show is to encourage business and store buyers. Ratings have increased so much so that designers no longer present the collections seen during the fashion show with the intent of putting them on sale six months later.  Currently, the urge for these products is so prevalent that this September’s new collections are for fall 2016 instead of in preparation for orders for the spring.  

5. Showroom Etiquette

There are unwritten rules in the fashion industry that come with experience, although knowing ahead of time will save you from confusion. Designers appreciate it when attendees, especially celebrities, wear their brand to their show. Another form of show business is listening to the main photographer’s cues. Senior vice president of IMG Fashion Fern Mallis advises that before the show begins, putting bags and accessories under seats, sitting properly and not showing any shoe soles and leaving your gum out of sight from the camera lense are ways to help the show run smoother and leave pictures cleaner.

6. Seating Charts

The A-listers invited include the media, buyers, retailers, and celebrities. But who gets the coveted front row seats comes down to the designers and their publicists, marketing heads and public relations team. Although the top editors generally gain the best spots, most designers will not decline a celebrity the best seat in the house.

7. Mystery Products

Many brands are sponsored throughout fashion week, both on and off stage. The makeup and hair departments advertise these products when the photographers catch glimpses of them using their brand backstage. But more often than not, these artists will be caught using duct taped hair products and makeup from brandless tubes instead. These are their true and preferable tools but in order to keep business flowing, they must incorporate sponsoring brands somehow, even if their use is minimal, and hide those they favour.

8. Contrary Contracts

At the end of the day, fashion weeks are business and business means agreements and contracts. Although many new models get either a low or no pay, granted experience instead, some of them have specific contracts. Specifics often include not allowing haircuts. But even though this section of body hair is protected, eyebrows are next to have a makeover, especially in regards to bleaching. Despite the overall positives of the job, many models are hesitant about this contract loophole, including Kendall Jenner who stresses her angst about them “always fall[ing] out afterwards.

9. Not All Shows Are Runways

Lastly, not all fashion week collections are shown on the runway but instead are represented through what are called “presentations.” Events such as these consist only of standing models. Although the backgrounds and theme can vary just like any fashion show, there is no runway but just the audience chatting and buying around the room.

10. The After Party

After an early call time, what better idea than party late into the next morning? Social media portrays the glam looks and good times of fashion show after parties, but the main designers and other heads of creative departments are more often than not absent these evenings. These celebrations, while great for the staff that have been preparing for the show for months, are another form of advertising through the celebrities and models that attend and post about later on.