The student news site of Pinecrest Academy

The Excalibur

A Trending Turmoil

Instead of prioritizing and overlooking individual relations,  balancing all areas of life is key to total wellness.

Instead of prioritizing and overlooking individual relations, balancing all areas of life is key to total wellness.

Olivia Jenkins, Staff Member

A Trending Turmoil

The push for a healthy lifestyle has welcomed an opposedly unhealthy trend.

These days, it seems like you have to live on another planet to avoid the concept of wellness. From “foodspirations” on social media to TV segments spotlighting each new diet, we’ve trained ourselves to analyze and scrutinize every crumb we put in our mouths. And while the healthy eating industry, originated with good intentions, it can be dangerous for those prone to obsessive tendencies.

Back in 1948, the World Health Organization coined the idea of health as “more than the absence of disease.” Since then, the trend in health has taken off. Skyrocketing as a movement in the seventies, the world of wellness aimed to reach optimal peace between not only body, mind, and soul, but also making the connection to outside situations, environments and communities. Dr. John W. Travis, founder of the first wellness resource centre, described the most significant concept of wellness as switching the mindset to focus on overall accord instead of unrealistic standards of well-being, or expectations of perfection. By forgetting the true goal of health and in order to reach society’s addiction to beauty, methods have been distorted by not only the capitalization of wellness but also by personal misinterpretation of satisfaction.

Throughout the years, various products endorsing current expectations have reached optimal consumer demand levels. Instead of patience, balance and experiences supporting the road to wellness, the push for efficiency has warped the idea of personal health by promoting false shortcuts. Companies supporting this concept sponsor items such as unnecessary supplements and wellness shots that are achievable through whole foods rather than extra costs. But there is a greater damage to personal wellness than the industry’s marketing techniques. Orthorexia, is when the mind becomes so obsessed with being healthy that it becomes unhealthy. Nutrition counselor and eating disorder specialist Dr. Marcia Herrin says “it’s not a new concept at all,” and that the only thing “new about orthorexia is how widely aspects of it have been endorsed and accepted by the public.” It has becomes so common in both males and females, that it is often unrecognizable. The push for clean eating has forced the mind to perceive anything less as dirty and negative and therefore insufficient. For instance, if straying from your diet makes you feel unreasonably guilty and your relationship with food fills an irrational amount of time, then eating clean has become a destructive force in your life. Although this doesn’t warrant for a physically damaging diet, mental clarity, the most important aspect of health, needs to be reevaluated.

A balanced life is a whole life. As for every situation, too much of one thing tarnishes the well being of the rest. A common cause to imbalance is repression of one desire, but since repression breeds obsession, addiction to health is still an addiction. Some might argue that the term orthorexia is an attempt to stigmatize certain healthy lifestyles but that is only true if that diet is pursued mindfully, taking into account total wellness instead of only physical standards. In short, there is too much compromised and quality of life wasted to permit this imbalance, as everybody should be encouraged to live fully rather than skewed by society.

This graph demonstrates the importance of sleep, a necessity that we deprive ourselves of too much even though doing so inhibits our responses to stress and immunity.